Foreign languages are a compulsory subject at Key Stage 2 (Year 3 upwards). However, we start our pupils experiences of Spanish in Reception by using fun activities and games. We then start weekly learning Spanish lessons from Year 1 - Year 6.
Pupils are taught to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- Engage in conversations, ask and answer questions, express opinions and respond to those of others, and seek clarification and help.
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing.
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary.
- Write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, expressing their ideas clearly.
- Describe people, pleases, things and actions in speech and writing.
We use Lightbulb languages resources to sequence our lessons and ensure that each one builds on previous experiences.